Emergency Communications Operator
JOB POSTING #: 2022-0354
POSTING PERIOD: Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 8:30 AM to Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Windsor Fire & Rescue Services
JOB CODE: WFA020
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
DEPARTMENT: Windsor Fire & Rescue Services
RATE OF PAY: $ 2,890.38 – $ 3,160.14 Biweekly
SHIFT WORK REQUIRED: Yes
- Reporting to the Emergency Communications Coordinator, this position will use various forms of communication media, and will be expected to answer to, process and organize fire service responses to emergency and non-emergency calls from the public and/or other agencies.
- The incumbent will be required to operate a multi-line telephone system during emergency and non-emergency events.
- Will be required to ensure that clear, concise and accurate information regarding an incident is obtained and relayed to responding crews, up to and including cross streets, access information and route information if necessary.
- The incumbent will be responsible to maintain accurate records of all emergency and non- emergency incidents.
- Attentive monitoring of emergency incidents to ensure the integrity of information and safety of fire ground personnel and/or allied agencies at the scene will be a responsibility of this position.
- Will respond to requests for service from internal agencies (i.e., within the Corporation and/or the fire service) or external agencies (i.e., other fire services, Ontario Fire Marshal).
- Will be required during the course of their duties to lift, carry, push or pull items such as binders, reference tables, or access maps from storage cabinets.
- Will be responsible to perform clerical duties and augment training as required.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency;
- Must have operating knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite of Products (i.e. Windows and Word);
- Must have a minimum typing proficiency of 40 wpm;
- Must have the ability to deal with emergency callers and prioritize emergency responses
- Must have effective written and verbal skills;
- Must have knowledge of office procedures and practices;
- Familiarity and proficiency with various related computer databases and software programs such as computer aided dispatch (CAD) will be considered an asset;
- A high degree of critical thinking skills and ability to effectively perform in a multi-tasking and stressful environment will be considered an asset;
- Ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner, knowledge of city and county streets and landmarks would be considered an asset;
- Previous experience in an emergency environment is an asset;
- Radio communications experience in an emergency environment will be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light level of work;
- Any of the following would be considered an asset: an Emergency Telecommunications Program certificate from a community college, APCO Public Safety Communicator or Fire Service Communications courses completed, or an ENP certification.
- All City of Windsor employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.