Senior Legal Counsel
POSTING #: 2024-0053
POSTING PERIOD: Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 8:30 AM to Monday, February 29, 2024 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Legal Services, Real Estate & Risk Management
JOB CODE: NU0018
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $116,601.63 to $141,730.61 Annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Deputy City Solicitor – Legal Services & Real Estate, this position will be responsible to provide legal services to the Corporation in all areas of the law as necessary focusing on corporate and commercial aspects of the Corporation’s operations, including but not limited to governance, drafting by-laws, contract preparation and review, real estate transactions, preparing legal opinions for the guidance of Council and Administration, review and update of corporate minute books of related municipal corporations, review and preparation of commercial documents.
- Responsibilities may include representation before courts, administrative boards and tribunals.
- Will abide by Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
This vacancy will focus on Corporate and Commercial aspects of the Corporation's Operations
- Must have a LLB or JD or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of six (6) years of experience in relevant areas of law;
- Must hold and maintain good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Must have the ability to travel to off-site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current valid and lawful Driver's License is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must be fully computer literate and well versed in the MS Office suite, particularly Outlook and Word (Excel and Access skills will be considered assets);
- Must be able to effectively use Westlaw@Carswell and Internet resources for legal research;
- Must have strong interpersonal, negotiation, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Should have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with the work;
- Broad Municipal legal experience is an asset;
- Will be required to complete and remain current as per the requirements of the Corporation’s Management Certificate Program;
- Progression through the Art of Supervision Program Certificate or a supervisory program of a similar nature is considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.