JOB POSTING: 2023-0307
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, August 4, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Monday, August 14, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Transit Windsor
UNION: A.T.U. Local 616
JOB CODE: 616007
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: Up to 20
RATE OF PAY: $24.43 to $32.57 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQUIRED: Yes
Reporting to the Operations Supervisors, operates a Transit Bus, collects fares from clients, and follows a pre-assigned route per the daily transit schedule under the direction of Transit Windsor. Responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle and safety of all passengers carried and respect for other users of the road in all weather and traffic conditions. Maintains and adheres to operational schedules and abides by the legislation, policies and procedures of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA), the U.S. Department of Transportation, and other applicable federal, provincial, state, and local regulations. Provide high quality customer service to passengers by answering questions, providing route information, and giving directions. Monitor activities on the bus to ensure safety of passengers, and diffuse difficult situations. Observe payment of passenger fares, enter data into fare box, and issue/check the validity of transfers/passes. Adhere to Transit Windsor’s routes and schedules. Responsible for communication with Operations Supervisors regarding documenting incidents, reporting delays, malfunctions and accidents. Perform daily inspection of bus interior/exterior. Assist passengers with accessible seating or assistive devices and deploy wheelchair ramp when necessary. Appropriately fill out accident and/or other reports related to any incidents occurring during the shift as required. Maintain a proper and valid Ontario Driver's Licence-Class B or C, with Z-endorsement. Aware of operational procedures as posted, Company Policies and Regulations. Will perform Corporate Health and Safety duties as outlined in the Canada Labour Code Part II. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency;
- Minimum 2 years front-line (face to face) customer service experience including direct contact with the public;
- Minimum 5 years of current motor vehicle operating experience in high density traffic conditions;
- Must hold and maintain a current valid and lawful Class G driver’s licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a Transit Windsor vehicle;
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age in accordance with MTO Class B and C licence requirements;
- Must be able to meet all legislated standards governing the issuance of a BZ or CZ License;
- Must provide a 3-Year Driver’s Abstract (with no infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents – no exceptions) dated within 4 weeks of your application date. Transit Windsor will conduct on-going monitoring of abstracts throughout their employment;
- Must provide a Criminal Record Search (Vulnerable Sector Screening) absent of infractions, offences and/or convictions;
- Must be able to participate in mandatory random drug and alcohol monitoring programs throughout their employment, including pre-employment testing;
- Able to work all shifts, variable hours, including weekends and statutory holidays.
- Must possess a current passport and be able to enter the United States of America;
- Must be bondable;
- Must successfully complete Transit Windsor’s applicant testing;
- Must successfully complete Transit Windsor’s 5 week training course;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- Able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- Transit Windsor Bus Operators are required to participate in mandatory random drug and alcohol monitoring programs throughout their employment, including pre-employment testing.
- Successful candidates will be required to work a variety of shifts determined by Seniority including: days, evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts.
- Successful candidates will be required to participate in a 5 week training program where attendance is mandatory.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.