Payroll Control & Reporting Specialist
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0473
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, November 24, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Thursday, November 30, 2023 at 4:30 PM
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543572
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $30.91 to $36.33 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the Manager of Payroll Services, the Payroll Control & Reporting Specialist will provide operational support to the Manager of Payroll Services; This position, in conjunction with the Manager of Payroll Services, ensures that all policies and procedures relating to the corporate payroll function are maintained up to date and current; The incumbent will conduct payroll department user acceptance testing of systems, upgrades, tax updates, regulatory and collective bargaining agreement changes, etc. and will ensure that all critical payroll processes and compliance related requirements are thoroughly tested prior to full acceptance in the production environment; Will be responsible to support and analyze the preparation, reconciliation and remitting of required employee and employer contributions/documentation to all governing agencies, such as Service Canada, CRA, EHT, WSIB, OMERS, Unions and others; Responsibilities will include ensuring all required data to support the payroll process is properly aggregated and reconciled; Coordination of the payroll production processes ensuring they are run accurately and on a timely basis, leveraging both the PeopleSoft HCM and Work-Force Software WBM systems; Establish and maintain support controls that will easily identify the reason for any incomplete or erroneous payroll transactions and will be responsible to follow up directly with Technology/Enterprise Support as deemed necessary; Responsibilities will include initiating and completing the EFT direct deposit and follow-up on all rejects, traces and recalls, including dealing directly with the bank and/or employees; Will be responsible to control and recover payroll overpayments in accordance with the current Recovery of Compensation Overpayments procedure #CS.B1.10; Processing OMERS Broken Service and Disability Elimination for employees and will track payments for employees who make OMERS service purchases while on leave; The Payroll Control & Reporting Specialist will be responsible for the ongoing balancing and reconciliation of OMERS contributory earnings, deductions, months of service and pension adjustment figures for Other Than Continuous Full-Time (OTCFT) and Continuous Full-Time (CFT) staff; It is responsible for processing year-end T-4 reporting; Will set up and monitor wage assignments and garnishments according to current legislation checking with Legal, where required and prepare the remittance of statutory source deductions and employer health tax for remittance to Receiver General and Ministry of Finance; Will be responsible to calculate and maintain automobile stand-by benefits; The Payroll Control & Reporting Specialist will work closely with the ESC Employee Service Representatives to assist in the Gross to Net aggregation, production and completion of employees pay and will liaise with Financial Accounting to assist with the reconciliation of both Fund 094 and Bank Reconciliations; plus prepare and submit monthly Statistics Canada reporting when required; Responsibility will include updating the content and the maintenance of the Payroll Department intranet site; Maintain amiable relations with fellow staff; Will perform Occupational Health & Safety Duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program; Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus three (3) years of post-secondary education consisting of two (2) years in Accounting from a community college or university or Ontario Ministry of education equivalency;
- Must have over one (1) year experience in a payroll processing, procedures and concepts relative to a medium to large computerized payroll environment;
- Must have operating knowledge and training in Microsoft Office, particularly in Excel;
- Must be capable of preparing clear and concise analytics and statistical reports;
- Must have knowledge of legislation affecting payroll processing and reporting (such as Employment Standards Act, EI Act, Income Tax Act, OMERS, Ontario Pension Benefits Act, MFIPPA, Privacy Laws, etc.;
- PeopleSoft HRMS experience would be considered an asset;
- A Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation through the Canadian Payroll Association will be considered an asset;
- A community college diploma or university degree with a major in Finance or Accounting will be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary to light level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.