Development Application Coordinator
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0323
POSTING PERIOD: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Monday, August 28, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Building Services
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543589
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: Up to 10
RATE OF PAY: $33.24 – 39.10 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Deputy Chief Building Official/ Policy & Regulatory Services or designate, this position is responsible for providing exceptional and accurate customer service to those inquiring about the building permit processes, and to applicants as they proceed with development in the City of Windsor through the building permit process.
- In general, this position will provide education and assistance to customers, calculate fees due and refundable, provide initial and zoning by-law review of applications for compliance, and liaise with the applicant and other departments to ensure compliance.
- This position will also conduct plans review under the Building Code Act and Zoning By-law.
- The position will also be the Primary City Contact for development application inquiries related to all types of development application processes and be the first source of contact at the municipality for these and other types of inquiries.
- The position will shepherd assigned applications through the development process, and remain the Primary City Contact for these files through to completion.
- This position is a front facing customer service position located within the public space of City Hall.
- There is an expectation that the position will respond to all customer service inquiries. Each inquiry is unique in nature and requires comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all legislation that relates to a development application inquiry, some examples include, The Building Code Act, The Ontario Building Code, Applicable law as defined by the Ontario Building Code, City Zoning By-law, Other City by-laws and Provincial regulations, including thorough knowledge of City Corporate policies, etc.
- This role will provide a ‘concierge’ type service to all contacts.
- The incumbent will require extensive on the job training to acquire the full complement of knowledge required to enable the incumbent to successfully fulfill the duties and tasks required in the position.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus completion of a three (3) year post-secondary program from a Community College or University in Engineering (Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Electrical, Geotechnical or Construction Management), Architecture, Architectural Technology, Business Administration, Business Management, Law, Political Science, Bachelor of Commerce Business or, Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over three (3) years of work experience in a computerized, customer service focused environment
- Must have thorough working knowledge of the Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code, Applicable law, City Zoning By-law, Other City by-laws and Provincial regulations, City policies and other appropriate standards and by-laws;
- Must have a pleasant, courteous manner and demonstrate excellent customer service skills;
- Must be able to work without detailed direction or close supervision and have the ability to interpret written instructions;
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all customers;
- Customer service and communication courses and/or workshops taken will be considered an asset.
- Qualification under the OBOA, General Legal/Process 2012 will be considered an asset.
- Given that this job is a new position a Physical Demands analysis will be completed with the incumbent after approximately six months of occupying the position.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.