Manager, Environmental Services
JOB POSTING #: 2024-0046
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, January 29, 2024 at 8:30 AM to Monday, February 12, 2024 at 4:30 PM
JOB CODE: NU0145
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $116,601.63 to $141,730.61 Annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the Executive Director of Operations/Deputy City Engineer, this position ensures the development, implementation and delivery of efficient, responsive and cost-effective waste collection services, waste diversion, waste transfer, haulage and disposal operations, various street sanitation services and a number of animal control services. Ensures budget preparation, control and monitoring as well as implementation of innovative methods of improving productivity. Plans, directs and coordinates the activities of the Environmental Services Division, including all personnel matters. Ensures through staff, an appropriate service delivery plan is formulated and carried out. Reviews and keeps appropriate records to ensure their integrity. Manages work activities undertaken by both corporate and contractor staff. Researches and prepares reports and correspondence. Communicates directly with municipal officials, media and representatives of other agencies, the general public and customers. Liases with Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority (EWSWA) on all waste management issues. Manages union and non-union staff, including recruitment, discipline, lost time, performance reviews and training and development. Investigates, develops, implements productivity and service enhancement strategies. Monitors employee and contractor performance, service effectiveness and efficiencies on an ongoing basis and takes corrective action as necessary. Ensures staff familiarity and compliance with Provincial safety legislation and corporate health and safety policies and procedures. Maintains amiable relations with our customers, the public and fellow staff. Participate on various Provincial committees relating to waste management. Will perform Occupational Health and Safety duties as outlined in the Corporate Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a Master’s degree in Science, Environmental Studies, Engineering or Business or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies and a minimum of four (4) years experience in an operations/technical waste management environment;
- OR Must have a University degree in Science, Environmental Studies, Engineering or Business or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies and a minimum of six (6) years experience in an operations/technical waste management environment;
- OR Must have a post secondary school community College diploma in Science, Environmental Studies, Engineering or Business or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies and over ten (10) years experience in an operations/technical waste management environment;
- Must hold and maintain a current valid and lawful Class “G” Driver’s Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have the ability to analyze and resolve complex technical and operational issues;
- Must have proven experience in contract administration, budget control and monitoring, and personnel supervision in a computerized and unionized environment;
- Must have proven technical, communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Must have thorough knowledge of appropriate safety, labour, environmental acts and codes and other relevant legislation;
- Must have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with the work;
- Will be required to complete and remain current the requirements of the Corporation’s Management Certificate Program;
- Progression through the Art of Supervision Program Certificate or a supervisory program of a similar nature is considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.