Operating Engineer 4th Class
JOB POSTING #: 2022-0377
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, October 7, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. to Friday, October 14, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543097
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $30.65 to $36.05 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: Yes.
- Reporting to the Manager, Facility Operations or designate, this position will be responsible for the operation, inspection, monitoring, testing, minor repair, and routine maintenance of equipment and systems.
- Including but not limited to: heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, cooling tower, chillers, building automation, pressure vessels, boilers, pumps, compressors, motors, turbines, plumbing, electrical, generators, lighting, fire safety, emergency, elevators, water treatment, interiors, building envelopes, roofing, domestic appliances, laundry systems, exterior grounds, and minor carpentry work.
- Will be responsible for ordering and purchasing of materials, and maintaining inventory.
- Monitor and adjust Building Automation Systems.
- Monitor energy consumption and make recommendations for improving procedures, and reducing cost of maintenance.
- Assist in coordinating day-to-day activities of other facilities maintenance staff and contractors as required.
- Communicate and liaise with fellow workers, supervisors, contractors, clients, skilled trade people, and company representatives.
- Assist in the coordination and execution of other routine maintenance related functions as assigned.
- Read and interpret blueprints, shop drawings, works orders, and schematics, as well as, read and understand code books, operating and procedures manuals, manufacturer’s specifications, log books, inspection sheets, and warranties.
- May operate a forklift for load ins and load outs; may operate a scissor and boom lift for overhead work in building.
- Must adhere to all applicable codes, acts, regulations, legislation, as well as corporate and departmental policies and procedures.
- Operate and maintain hand and power tools and equipment, lifting devices, and material handling equipment.
- Track and record time spent on each task.
- Write clear, concise reports, work orders, and service document manually, and on a computer using 360Facility and Microsoft Office software.
- Shift work and overtime may be required, as well as working during special events, weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- Incumbent will be required to work in all types of weather and conditions.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health & Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must have a three (3) year post secondary school community College diploma in Power Engineering and a current valid 4th Class Operating Engineer Certificate or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency.
- Must have over six (6) months of experience in all areas of the position such as experience in a commercial/institutional or industrial maintenance environment, with the operation of DDC controls systems, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and general repair exposure.
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a Driver’s abstract as a condition of employment.
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a heavy level of work.
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job.
- Must perform duties in accordance to the regulations stipulated under the Operating Engineer’s certification, and be cognizant of, and adhere to the mandated work of other skilled trades as governed by the regulatory body, Ontario College of Trades.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret construction drawings, knowledge of the Provincial Operating Engineer’s Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and other related Acts or Codes.
- Must possess effective oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing to work shift work and overtime as required, as well as work during special events, weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- A Building Environmental Systems Certificate is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office Suite of Products such as Word, Excel and Access is considered an asset.
- All City of Windsor employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.