Transportation Planner I
JOB POSTING #: 2022-0338
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, September 2, 2022 at 8:30 AM to Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Transportation Planning
UNION: C.U.P.E 543
JOB CODE: 543437
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $29.55 - $34.74 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Transportation Planning Senior Engineer, this position will be responsible to review planning/development proposals, prepare comments, attend meetings as required, and negotiate with developers on behalf of Transportation Planning to achieve policy objectives, safe design, and protection of City transportation facilities including rezoning, Official Plan Amendment, Plan of Subdivision, Part Lot Control, Site Plan Control, Condominium Conversion, Consent Applications and Minor Variance Applications (Committee of Adjustment).
- Will prepare draft responses to applications and maintain appropriate background files; represent Public Works at various meetings to provide technical input and expertise, including the Ontario Municipal Board and Site Plan Control Committee, provide design guidelines for roadway improvements related to all developments, negotiate cost sharing for roadway improvements, review and comment on Liquor License applications, represent Transportation Planning at Planning Advisory Committee and Council meetings, and review traffic impact study analysis including trip generation, distribution and assignments for various development applications.
- Will assist the Policy Analyst in undertaking policy reviews including creating mapping and presentation materials, data collection, and participation at public meetings.
- Will perform traffic impact study analysis including trip generation, distribution and assignments for internal City developments and studies.
- Will perform transportation analysis using transportation analysis software; review and comment on Sign By-Law amendments; assist in the preparation and implementation of transportation planning field surveys and studies including the analysis and maintenance of data; assist and train others participating in traffic engineering surveys and studies; assist in undertaking Environmental Assessments; perform manual turning moving counts; assist in the review of oversized loads; assist the Traffic Technician in the review of traffic detour routes in cooperation with other department, utilities and contractors.
- Receive, sort, analyze and prepare material received for entry relating to collision database.
- Input data for motor vehicle accident reports, and will maintain motor vehicle accident files and prepare accident statistics.
- Handle and provide support for general inquiries and complaints from the public and City Council, and prepares responses and/or reports as required including processing department Service Requests as assigned.
- Will be required to make site visits and attend meetings involving other Service Areas and/or the public on behalf of the department.
- Maintain amiable relations with co-workers and the public.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a four (4) year University Degree in Civil Engineering, or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies.
- Must have over one (1) year of experience in either a Civil Engineering or Transportation Planning environment.
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment.
- Must have knowledge of the Planning Act and related legislation and provincial policies.
- Must have excellent writing skills and the ability to make oral presentations.
- Must have the ability to develop and use graphic aids, and the ability to use standard spreadsheet and graphic computer software.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, and have the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with City representatives, other agencies, and the general public.
- Membership with the Professional Engineers of Ontario will be considered an asset.
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light level of work.
- All City of Windsor employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.