Signal Maintenance Electrician II
JOB POSTING #: 2022-0468-AMENDED
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, December 9, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. to Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
DEPARTMENT: Public Works Operations
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543432
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $35.34 - $41.55 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQUIRED: No
Reporting to the Supervisor of Traffic Signals, this position maintains, modifies, installs, troubleshoots and repairs city wide serial, Ethernet and wireless communication network for a signalized traffic control system, including modems, repeater sites, overhead and underground cable and communication cabinets. Programs and repairs microprocessor controllers, communication devices and associated electronic equipment to attain required timings and traffic control by reading electrical drawings, interpreting readings and indicators using various test equipment such as meters, oscilloscopes, communication test equipment, personal computers, laptops, etc. Assembles and installs intersection hardware while working at heights of over 20 feet. Operates various sized trucks, trailers, boom lifting equipment, forklifts, concrete saws, generators, compressors, pumps, hand and power tools, and soldering apparatus. Co-ordinates with all appropriate authorities such as Windsor Police, Fire, ESA, and Enwin Power lines with regards to intersection installations, both temporary and permanent, and in emergency situations. Maintains daily entries of all activities in a log book for purposes of evidence in a court trial. Will be required to travel to various locations across the City, and work in all weather conditions. Maintains amiable relations with the public and fellow staff. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have (4) years of post-secondary school education comprising of a (3) three year Technologist Diploma from a Community College in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Power Engineering or Transportation Engineering plus a current licence as an Electrician or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over five (5) years of experience comprising of four and a half (4.5) years of electrical experience plus six months (6) of experience using and repairing electronics;
- Must hold and maintain, as a condition of employment, a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s Licence with a ‘Z’ endorsement prior to completion of the probationary/confirmation period and in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purpose of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- When on call, must be available to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner;
- A university degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering is considered an asset;
- The ability to assemble, install, repair, maintain and modify electrical apparatus and traffic control devices as used by and under the control of Traffic Operations would be considered an asset;
- Experience in traffic signal controllers would be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a heavy level of work.
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.