Mechanical Building Inspector
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0393
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, November 20, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Friday, December 1, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Building Services
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543562
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 2
RATE OF PAY: $33.24 - $39.10 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the Manager of Inspections/Deputy CBO, this position will be responsible for the performance of Plumbing/HVAC field inspections of both new and existing buildings to ensure compliance with approved plans, reference standards, related legislation, Ontario Building Code and City of Windsor by-laws; Liaise with senior management, contractors, architects, engineers, designers, property owners, lawyers, community groups, agencies, other divisions and levels of Government on Ontario Building Code Regulations and required construction practices; Prepare and input legible, concise, complete, and accurate electronic reports for each inspection performed including collection and attachment of photographs, documents and reports in the Building department’s computerized records management and tracking system and review test/reports as they are received; Maintain a record of field inspections; Enforce the Ontario Building Code Act, regulations and City of Windsor By-laws through issuance of orders and prosecute non-compliance through the Provincial Court process; Investigate complaints regarding contraventions of statutes, regulations and by-laws; Appear and provide evidence in court on: Ontario Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code Regulations, Ontario Building Code Commission, City of Windsor Property Standards Committee, License Commission Hearings and any other proceedings as required for prosecution and to represent the City in civil litigation; Perform other duties including: approval of alternative designs and equipment substitutions that vary from approved drawings; make recommendations to improve divisional policies, procedures and practices; Mentor staff, provide routine information and maintain excellent interpersonal relations with the public and fellow staff. When performing inspections, will be required to carry various supplies (laptop, Code binder, etc.) to and from jobsites as required; Will be required to travel to off-site locations on an occasional–frequent basis using a City of Windsor fleet vehicle to perform various inspections. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus at least one (1) year of post-secondary education in Architectural or Civil Engineering Technology, or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in building construction and a comprehensive knowledge of building design and construction;
- Must have Provincial qualifications as outlined in the Ontario Building Code in the following categories: General Legal/Process or CBO Legal Examination, Plumbing– House or H.V.A.C - House;
- Must have experience and education in the design and/or installation of building, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems;
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have experience in a computerized office environment and be familiar with the Microsoft Office Suite of Products;
- Will be required to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications;
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Building Code;
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills in all mediums;
- Consideration will be given to applicants who have additional Provincial qualifications to inspect Small, Large, Complex and Structural Buildings (all buildings) and Building Services;
- Possession of a University Degree in Architecture or Engineering, or a Province of Ontario Certification of Qualification – Plumbing or Sheet Metal Worker, will be considered an asset;
- OACETT MAATO Certification as a Technician or Technologist and membership with the Ontario Association of Property Stands (C.P.S.O) will be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.