Manager, Real Estate Services
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0059
POSTING PERIOD: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Monday, February 13, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Legal & Real Estate Services
JOB CODE: NU0016
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $101,102.66 - $122,891.44 annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Deputy City Solicitor - Legal & Real Estate Services, this position will be responsible for negotiating all City real estate purchases and sales.
- This includes formulating appropriate compensation settlements in expropriation matters, granting and acquiring easements, and negotiating long term leases of City owned property, acquiring leased space, and managing transitional properties.
- Responsible for the requisitioning of land appraisals, evaluating them and providing internal property valuations.
- This position provides recommendations to council on real estate matters in the form of council reports which are usually considered at in-camera meetings.
- Offers guidance and advice to all City departments relating to real estate services. Is required to liaise with those outside of the municipal corporation such as other levels of government and public bodies, consultants, engineers, land appraisers, surveyors, environmental consultants, real estate agents, property owners and lawyers.
- Represents the City’s interests in all real estate matters at public meetings, hearings and tribunals. Responsible for the management of the Corporations’ leasing portfolio including leases to third parties and/or municipal leasing of third party space. Required to drive to all site locations.
- Prepares and monitors both operating and capital budgets. Supervises staff including recruitment, training, ongoing performance monitoring and annual performance appraisals;
- Will be responsible for ensuring compliance with other corporate policies and applicable legislation.
- Responsible for the Lease division which is responsible for the management of municipal transitional buildings including maintenance, security, utility payments, and leasing as necessary.
- Assists municipal assessment officers with property valuations.
- Will respond to inquiries from the public related to municipal lands.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Geography or related field or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of four (4) years of experience in real estate property negotiation, management and appraisal including dealing with the legal aspects involved in the purchase/sale/lease of property; OR
- Must have a University Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Geography or related field or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of six (6) years of experience in real estate property negotiation, management and appraisal including dealing with the legal aspects involved in the purchase/sale/lease of property; OR
- Must have a post secondary school community College diploma in Business Administration, Economics, Geography or related field or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency, and over ten (10) years of experience in real estate property negotiation, management and appraisal including dealing with the legal aspects involved in the purchase/sale/lease of property;
- Must have the ability to travel to off site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current, valid and lawful Driver's License is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have excellent negotiation skills and ability to communicate complex matters effectively;
- Must have progressively responsible municipal or asset management experience in a computerized and unionized environment;
- Should have knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with the work;
- Will be required to complete and remain current as per the requirements of the Corporation’s Management Certificate Program;
- Progression through the Art of Supervision Program Certificate is considered an asset;
- Professional accreditation from the Appraisal Institute of Canada (C.R.A. or A.A.C.I. designation) Institute of Municipal assessors and/or International Right of Way association would be considered an asset;
- Familiarity with expropriation procedures would be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.