Transportation Technologist I 2023-0003
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0003
POSTING PERIOD: Wednesday, January 4th, 2023 at 8:30AM to Tuesday, January 10th, 2023 at 4:30PM
DEPARTMENT: Public Works Operations - Traffic Operations & Parking
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543438
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $27.38 to $32.22 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQUIRED: Yes
Reporting to the Manager of Traffic Operations, this position will be responsible to investigate, make recommendations and prepare traffic and parking bylaw amendment reports to City Council; prepare petitions for both traffic and parking by-law amendment; review and comment on sign by-law amendments; receive, sort, analyze and prepare material received for entry relating to collision database which includes data input for motor vehicle accident reports, maintain motor vehicle accident files and collision report database, prepare accident statistics; review and make recommendations for personal accessible parking spaces including applicable correspondence and bylaw amendments; responsible for updating and maintaining all data related to the Geographical Information System including maintaining maps of traffic control devices and parking controls; will perform manual turning moving counts and generally assists the Traffic Technician in collection of traffic data as well as in the review and approval of oversized load route applications; assist the Policy Analyst in undertaking policy reviews including creating mapping and presentation materials, data collection, and participation at public meetings; assist in the preparation and implementation of transportation planning field surveys and studies; undertake traffic, parking, warrant and speed studies; review geometric improvements to roadway infrastructure; review and comment on Liquor License applications; review traffic operational problems and arranges detour routes in cooperation with other departments, utilities and contractors; preparation of cost estimates, assist in the undertaking of Environmental Assessments; conduct site investigations and perform on-site construction inspection of parking lots, garages and intersections including collection of locates, measurements and other information for drafting purposes; carry out drafting tasks assigned utilizing an AutoCAD station; operate all drafting related equipment including printers and plotter; assist in the update of the Strategic Roadway Improvement Priority Study; handles and provides support for general inquiries and complaints from the public and City Council and prepares responses and/or reports as required including processing department Service Requests as assigned; will be required to travel to off-site locations; must be familiar with Provincial safety legislation and Corporate safety policies and procedures; maintain amiable relations with co-workers and the public. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a three (3) year Civil or Traffic Engineering Technology Diploma from a Community College or Degree from a University or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over one (1) year of experience in a Transportation/Traffic Engineering-related environment;
- Must be a member of O.A.C.E.T.T. as an Engineering Technician or able to obtain same within two (2) years of receiving this position;
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have experience in a computerized environment with emphasis on AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel and Word, Highway Capacity Manual and other specialized software;
- Must be proficient in mathematics and traffic survey techniques;
- Must have proven oral and written skills, as well as analytical and interpersonal skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with City representatives, other agencies, and the general public;
- Exposure to GIS concepts, AutoCAD menu/macro customization and spreadsheet databases would be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.