JOB POSTING #: 2023-0190
POSTING PERIOD: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Monday, May 22, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Building Services
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543016
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $30.53-$35.88 per hour
POSITION #: 00003042
SHIFT WORK REQUIRED: No
HOURS OF WORK: 35.00
- Reporting to the Manager of Permits and Deputy Chief Building Official, or designate, this position reviews construction plans, drawings and specifications for compliance with requirements of the Ontario Building Code Act, Division B Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code, related municipal by-laws, and other applicable laws prior to release of appropriate building permits.
- Calculates permit fees, indemnity fees, etc, by applying fee schedule to construction project costs.
- Advises applicants as to proper documentation to be submitted such as site plans, grading plans, surveys, floor plans, elevations, etc.
- Reviews agreements to ensure that terms and conditions are met prior to the issuance of permits.
- Liaises with owners, contractors, engineers, architects, designers, other City departments, etc, as needed and relative to the issuance of permits.
- Maintains amiable relations with the public and fellow staff.
- May be required to travel to off-site locations.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a three (3) year post-secondary education from a Community College in Architecture Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have successfully completed General Legal/Process or CBO Legal Examination, administered by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, (pursuant to Section 15.11(5) of the Building Code Act) and possess as a minimum the following category of qualifications as set out in Division C Part 3, Table 126.96.36.199 of the Ontario Building Code: Small Buildings;
- Must have over one (1) year related experience in a construction or municipal environment;
- Must have the ability to travel to off-site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current valid and lawful Driver’s Licence is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have thorough working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and other appropriate standards and by-laws;
- Must possess strong analytical, communication, interpersonal and time management skills, as well as an ability to interact and communicate effectively and courteously with the public and staff of all levels. Must also possess an ability to work independently or in a group;
- Must have experience in a computerized office environment and be familiar with the Microsoft Suite of Products (Word, Excel and Outlook);
- Computer literacy in the AMANDA software is considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a limited / sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.