Arena Attendant - Seasonal
JOB POSTING #: 2022-0489
POSTING PERIOD: Thursday, December 22, 2022 at 8:30 AM to Friday, January 13, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Recreation & Culture
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 82
JOB CODE: 82106
POSITION STATUS: Temporary
GRADE/CLASS: EA4 - M01
# OF POSITIONS: Up to 9 positions at a minimum of 24 hours per (2 week) pay period
RATE OF PAY: $18.82 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: Yes.
- Reporting to the Manager, Arenas & Recreation Facilities or designate, this position will be responsible for the maintenance and operation of arena/recreation facilities and attendant service areas.
- Will assist the Rink Attendant, as and when required: moving hockey nets, snow removal, resurfacing the ice, maintaining dressing rooms and washrooms.
- If assigned to either of the outdoor rinks, the incumbent will be required to operate the ice resurfacer, perform daily maintenance and monitor the refrigeration plant.
- The incumbent will perform cleaning duties such as washing walls, woodwork, windows, lights, sweeping floors, vacuuming carpets, cleaning washrooms, operating mechanical floor cleaners and picking up refuse.
- Incumbent will be responsible to provide general direction and information to the public where necessary.
- Responsibility will include a requirement to maintain written records and prepare legible and concise verbal and written reports.
- Must be courteous, cooperative, be able to communicate verbally and in writing, and maintain cordial relations with employees and the general public.
- Will monitor and secure all service areas in the facility.
- Ensure that all service areas are left clean and ready to use by the general public.
- Incumbent must be able to efficiently operate all equipment associated with building maintenance.
- The Arena Attendant will be required to be properly dressed at all times in accordance with safety standards.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency;
- Must have (2) two years related work experience in one or a combination of the following areas: customer/public service; maintenance/janitorial; ice rink/recreational facilities;
- Must provide (1) one original satisfactory employment reference letter (dated within the last (6) six months) from a current/past employer upon request;
- Must hold by date of hire and maintain current and valid Standard First Aid and CPR certification obtained from a first aid training provider approved by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), for the full term of employment
- Most positions require a current valid and lawful Class G or G2 driver's license in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle (i.e. Club Car);
- Persons being offered employment for positions requiring a driver’s licence must provide an up-to-date uncertified driver’s abstract at the time of documentation;
- Must be available to work all shifts for the duration of employment; Shifts include days, afternoons, midnights, including weekends and holidays;
- Must have good public relation skills and have the ability to work in a team environment;
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision;
- Must be able to keep records and write reports;
- Must have knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the hazards associated with the work;
- Must be a minimum of 17 years of age at time of application;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Must successfully complete training on the handling of various cleaning materials or related chemicals and their use in building maintenance;
- Must successfully complete training on ice resurfacer (Zamboni) if required by the Department;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a heavy level of work;
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job;
- Once hired, as a condition of employment, Recreation Seasonal employees shall provide at their own expense a uniform including an initial and replacement Canadian Standards Association black hockey helmets as required, one (1) pair of safety shoes or boots, two (2) pairs of pants and two (2) shirts. The uniform must be worn in accordance with the standard issue worn by other employees.
Arena Attendant – Seasonal employees may be assigned to work at any of the following locations:
Adie Knox Herman Recreation Complex
Capri Pizzeria Recreation Complex
Forest Glade Community Centre and arena
Constable John Atkinson Memorial Community Centre
Lanspeary Lions Rink (Outdoor Rink)
Gino and Liz Marcus Community Complex
Ojibway Nature Centre
Malden Park Visitor’s Centre
Windsor Family Credit Union Centre
Optimist Community Centre
Windsor Water World
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.