Pension & Benefits Specialist
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0151
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, April 14, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
JOB CODE: NU0605
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $67,845.44 - $82,467.14
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Employee Service Centre Manager, this position is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the City’s pension and benefits policies and programs.
- The Pension & Benefit Specialist will serve as a subject matter expert for all pension and benefit plan matters and provides in-depth knowledge, expertise, support and guidance to Human Resources, Employee Service Centre, Payroll, management and employees, as required.
- Prepares communication materials relating to the pension (OMERS) and benefit plans (Green Shield, Canada Life) across the Corporation, updating employee information on internal database and / or intranet.
- Monitors, analyzes and coordinates the Corporation’s Benefit Program and Procedures and makes recommendations on possible changes and efficiencies to program design, procedural wording and collective agreement articles.
- Accountable for the coordination and implementation of the insured benefit plans for the Corporation and for the administration of the OMERS pension plan.
- Responsible for overseeing and carrying out all death claims including consulting/consoling employees, surviving spouses and their family members.
- Meets and provides general guidance to employees who are retiring so they are able to make informed decisions.
- Accurately administers OMERS enrolments and terminations, disability waivers, death benefits, in a timely fashion to meet reporting deadlines.
- Liaises with City’s Ergonomist and Wellness Specialist as well as external benefit providers regarding the Corporation benefit plans and programs as required.
- Provides reports, conducts research, monitors trends and conducts analysis, plus develop and make recommendations to the Employee Service Centre Manager related to pension and benefits best practices.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a University degree in Business, Arts or Sciences or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of one (1) year senior administration experience or Human Resources experience in pension and benefit plan administration. OR
- Must have a post-secondary community College diploma in Business, Arts or Sciences or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of two (2) senior administration experience or Human Resources experience in pension and benefit plan administration. OR
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus one (1) year post-secondary education in Business, Arts or Sciences or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies and a minimum of four (4) years senior administration experience or Human Resources experience in pension and benefit plan administration
- Previous working knowledge of the OMERS Pension Plan including administration, funding, claims management, etc. will be a definite asset
- Must be proficient with the Microsoft Suite of Products, i.e. Outlook, Word, and Excel and the ability to learn new technologies.
- Should have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with work;
- Experience interpreting and applying multiple collective agreements and policies for benefit purposes.
- Must have highly developed customer service and communication skills (written, verbal)
- Must have strong analytical and proactive problem solving abilities and flexibility of decision making, while managing multiple priorities with superior attention to detail;
- Good organizational and time management abilities; set priorities and meet deadlines
- Must have demonstrated ability to be an active, positive team player;
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and Regulatory knowledge, such as Employment Standards Act, EI Act, Income Tax Act, OMERS, Ontario Pension Benefits Act, MFIPPA, Privacy laws, etc. required.
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) a definite asset.
- Previous working experience with PeopleSoft HRMS would be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light/sedentary level of work
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.