Building By-Law Officer
JOB POSTING #: 2024-0012
POSTING PERIOD: Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 8:30 AM to Monday, January 8, 2024 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Building Services
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543570
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time (2); Temporary Full-Time (2)
# OF POSITIONS: 4
RATE OF PAY: $34.91 – $41.09 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQUIRED: No
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5
Reporting to the Manager of Inspections/Deputy Chief Building Official, is responsible for the enforcement of the City’s By Laws as assigned under the Chief Building Official, including but not limited to the Maintenance and Occupancy Standards By-Law, Zoning By-Law, Pool By-Law, Fence By-law, Sign By-Law, Vital Services By-law. Investigate complaints and perform inspections and investigations of properties within the City with regard to structure, plumbing, wiring, heating, sanitation, grading, and fire & life safety systems other than those involving the Ontario Building Code Act or Ontario Building Code Regulations. Prepare and input electronic reports for each inspection performed including collection and attachment of photographs, documents and reports in the Building Department computerized records management and tracking system as required and necessary for any resulting legal proceedings. Issue orders to property owners and other affected parties when violations of the by-laws are noted. Swear information, serve summonses, prepare court briefs and attend court proceedings to provide expert testimony and evidence as necessary for prosecution of non-compliant property owners. Provide information to the public, property owners, tenants and other City departments related to by-laws and enforcement activities. Maintain excellent interpersonal relations with the public and fellow staff. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus (3) years of post-secondary education from a Community College or University in Architectural Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in building construction or building maintenance.
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have working knowledge of structures, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Must have experience in a computerized office environment and be familiar with the Microsoft Office Suite of Products.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills in all mediums. Effective negotiating skills to deal with controversial situations and promoting a cooperative spirit towards compliance.
- Must have knowledge of the Maintenance and Occupancy Standards By-law, Ontario Building Code Act, Municipal Freedom of Information Act, Landlord and Tenant Act and Provincial Offences Act.
- Experience with the AMANDA document management system will be considered an asset.
- Work related experience, preferably in Municipal Law Enforcement will be considered an asset.
- Membership and Certification with the Ontario Association of Property Standards Officers, or working towards certification will be considered an asset.
- Successful completion of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing “Legal/Process” examination will be considered an asset.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.