Street & Alley Legal Clerk
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0331
POSTING PERIOD: Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Monday, August 21, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Planning Services
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543035
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $27.72 – $32.62 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Manager of Development/Deputy City Planner, this position will be responsible for coordinating the activities of street and alley closings as well as performing clerical duties pertaining to the sale of City owned properties according to set procedures.
- Searches information by phone and letter utilizing provincially mandated Teraview for items such as title searches, Council Resolutions, by-laws, etc.
- Also searches corporate records to respond to application queries.
- Compiles, verifies documents such as surveys, solicitor’s letters, legal descriptions, declarations, affidavits, etc.
- Contacts lawyers, purchasers, etc. as required.
- Composes and types items such as ownership transfers, deeds, letters to lawyers, recitals.
- Receives payment for purchase of properties; issues receipts and forwards to cashier. Prepares accounts payable vouchers for payment of items such as Ontario Land Surveyor’s costs, legal costs, and refund vouchers.
- Maintains and follows up on files including registered properties dating back to 1900.
- Extracts from computer information utilizing provincially mandated Teraview pertaining to City owned property sales; responds to general and specific inquiries by phone or at counter.
- Occasionally prepares reports to Standing Committee, The Chief Administrative Officer (delegated authority) and City Council including determination of property lists for public notification purposes.
- Prepares and ensures accuracy of legal notices/newspaper advertisements as required by appropriate legislation.
- Explains application processes, qualifications and fees to the public regarding street and alley closing process including determination of required documentation and verification of signature and property ownership.
- Provides input on policy, practices and ensures adherence to same by having thorough knowledge of legislation, by-laws, corporate policy and council resolutions, regulations pursuant to Municipal Act as it relates to closures of municipal rights-of-way.
- Must communicate with the public, various provincial agencies and other civic staff in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus one (1) year of post-secondary education in Office Administration – Legal or Paralegal from a Community College or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over three (3) years of experience in a computerized legal/planning office environment utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite of Products (Outlook, Word, Excel);
- Must have a typing speed of 40 wpm;
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with minimal direction;
- Must have familiarity with legal documents and Registry Office procedures;
- Familiarity with Teraview is considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.