JOB POSTING #: 2023-0350
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, August 28, 2023 at 8:30 a.m. to Friday, September 1, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
DEPARTMENT: Public Works Operations
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 82
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: Up to 3
RATE OF PAY: $31.50 per hour (Journeyperson)
SHIFT WORK REQUIRED: Yes
Reporting to a Maintenance Supervisor, this position is responsible for carrying out the duties of a Road Maintainer such as repairing catch basins and manholes; repair/grinding and replace sidewalks, and curb and gutter; utility restoration; road repair and other duties as assigned. Prepares daily reports on designated forms as required; ensures proper operation of vehicle and all related equipment; will be required to travel to various sites to perform maintenance duties; maintain amiable relations with both public and fellow staff. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency, plus a current Certification of Qualification as a Construction Craft Worker – Trade Code 450A – Levels 1 & 2, as offered through the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities combined with over three (3) years of experience associated with the duties involved in the Road Maintainer position (which includes apprentice hours to obtain Certificate of Qualification), or related duties; OR
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement
- OR Must hold and maintain a current valid and lawful Class G Driver's Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and must attain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a “Z” endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle within the probationary/confirmation period. Failure to obtain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘D’ Driver’s License with a ‘Z’ endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act within the probationary/confirmation period will result in disqualification from the classification and the employee being returned to their former position, if applicable;
- Must be able to work the afternoon shift, i.e. 2:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m., 5 days per week, during specified periods as assigned. The specified period is currently from the beginning of November to the end of March, and may be subject to change.
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a medium to heavy level of work.
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job;
- Must be able to perform the duties with minimal supervision;
- Previous experience in reading grades as set out on stakes/stations, using grades when setting form, employing techniques required in form setting, estimating quantities, finishing and curing concrete, asphalt laying practices, pipe laying, and brick laying would be considered an asset.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.