JOB POSTING #: 2023-0295
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Building Services
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-time; Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 2
RATE OF PAY: $82,365.43 - $100,116.32 Annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the Manager of Permit Services / Deputy Chief Building Official, or designate, this position will be responsible for review of plans prior to the release of construction, demolition, plumbing, heating, sewer, on-site sewage and sign permits. Reviews design drawings and specifications for compliance with the requirements of the Ontario Building Code, all applicable laws, and other related codes, standards, and municipal by-laws. Analyzes structural drawings/calculations in accordance with Part 4, examines soil reports, consultants’ reports, and will evaluate alternative solutions. Responds to related inquiries, provides guidelines, recommendations and interpretations regarding the Ontario Building Code and other applicable laws to external and internal customers, including architects, engineers, lawyers, general public, city staff and others. Reviews all agreements and legal documents to ensure that the terms and conditions precedent to the permit issuance have been fulfilled. Calculates all applicable fees and municipal charges. Attends various meetings and construction site meetings as required. Maintain amiable relations with the public and fellow staff. Will Perform Occupational Health and Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a University Degree in Civil, Mechanical or Fire Protection Engineering or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency, and a minimum of four (4) years progressively responsible engineering experience in building design and construction;
- Must be licensed by the Professional Engineers of Ontario;
- Must have successfully completed or be willing to complete within one (1) year of accepting the position, the following categories of qualifications required by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing: General Legal/Process or CBO Legal Examination, Small Buildings, Large Buildings, Complex Buildings, Building Structural, Fire Protection, Building Services and Plumbing – All Buildings. Additional qualifications would be considered an asset;
- Must have the ability to travel to off site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current valid and lawful Driver's License is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have familiarity with the Ontario Fire Code, CSA, ULC and NFPA Standards;
- Must have the ability to read and interpret construction drawings;
- Must have an understanding of mechanical systems (plumbing, heating, fire protection);
- Computer literacy in the AMANDA software is considered an asset;
- Should have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with work;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a limited/sedentary level of work
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.