Senior Economic Development Officer
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0047
POSTING PERIOD: Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Economic Development & Innovation
JOB CODE: NU0589
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $89,077.36 - $108,274.62 Annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the Commissioner, Economic Development & Innovation, and liaising with the Office of the Mayor and Invest WindsorEssex, the position will be responsible to implement aspects of Windsor Works, the local economic development program approved by City Council. In addition, the position will focus on business attraction, retention, and expansion, with efforts geared towards facilitating job creation and economic diversification while maintaining regional cooperation; Assist existing and potential members of the business community with requests for municipal approvals involving development applications and economic incentives; Assist in championing an environment that promotes a high level of customer service to the business community; Prioritize opportunities and assess the best option for service delivery which may include direct action by the city, or contracted through the Invest WindsorEssex; Assist in the accountability process by collecting and reporting data to City Council to create a platform for ongoing improvement through planning and performance measurement related to economic development investments; Support economic development activities around the Windsor Airport lands, particularly as related to the NextStar Energy Inc. battery facility, and other areas as assigned; Support the Mayor and City Council as appropriate to develop and coordinate economic investment opportunities. Research and prepare reports with recommendations on assigned initiatives to Committees of Council and City Council, with formal reporting to City Council at least annually; Research and prepare written comments on issues that are generally shared by local businesses; Facilitate public consultation, liaison and community outreach; Provide advice and assistance to existing and potential members of the business community for access Community Improvement Plans, and special studies and programs related to economic development; Research and interpret economic, demographic and development indicators and benchmark the community’s economy; Conduct statistical analysis, long-range planning and economic studies; Review and provide recommendations on policy initiatives proposed by senior levels of government as they relate to economic development; Receive development proposals from private development companies, businesses and industrial organizations, and analyze the feasibility of these projects; Negotiate and/or assist with negotiating economic development contracts with private developers, businesses and industry. Act as a representative of the Mayor’s Office and the Commissioner of Economic Development and Innovation on various committees or in meetings related to economic development; Provide advice and liaise with development proponents, public agencies, business improvement area boards and their membership, community/neighbourhood associations, the general public and internal service units of the Corporation with regard to the key responsibilities of the economic development portfolio. Perform Occupational Health and Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health & Safety Program and other related duties as required.
- Must have an undergraduate degree or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency in an appropriate field of study;
- Must have a minimum of six (6) years’ progressively responsible experience in positions providing exposure to marketing, community development and/or business development;
- Must have the ability to travel to off-site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current, valid and lawful Driver’s License will be required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have knowledge of the Ontario Municipal Act and related legislation and provincial policies;
- Must have excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills; ability to make oral presentations; ability to develop and use graphic aids;
- Must develop and maintain cordial and respectful relationships with internal and external contacts;
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft suite of products and graphics software;
- Must have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Must have the ability to solve problems and meet deadlines under pressure;
- Experience and credentials in Economic Development, Marketing or Public Relations would be considered an asset;
- Considerable understanding of municipal operations, particularly related to planning, development, and zoning would be considered an asset;
- Some preference may be given to those applicants with an advanced degree or diploma in related fields;
- Should have knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Acts, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with work;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this position indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.