Therapeutic Recreation Aide
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0153
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, April 17, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Friday, April 21, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Huron Lodge
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543189
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Part Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $28.36 - $33.33 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: Yes
- Reporting to the Manager of Resident Services, this position develops, organizes and facilitates therapeutic recreation programs for residents throughout the home.
- Provides residents with therapeutic and meaningful programs and activities to reach their optimum abilities and maintain or improve their quality of life.
- Programs may be individual or group activities.
- Responsible to conduct assessments with new residents and their families in order to develop an individualized activation and spiritual care plan.
- Responsible to update each resident’s care plan on a quarterly basis.
- Responsible for all documentation requirements related to therapeutic recreation.
- As a member of the multidisciplinary team, will maintain communication with all divisions related to resident status, inclusive of attending care conferences as required.
- Accompanies residents on bus trips into the community as scheduled.
- Porters residents to and from activities and programs as required.
- Will perform tours of the home.
- Will assist other members of the Resident Services team as required.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a two (2) year post-secondary school Diploma from a community college or a University Degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies, Therapeutic Recreation, Kinesiology, Early Childhood Education, Gerontology, or other related field as per the Long Term Care Homes Act guidelines; or related field; or Ontario Ministry of Education Equivalencies;
- Must have over one (1) year of experience working in Long-Term Care setting;
- At the time of hire, must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘G’ Driver’s License in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and must provide a driver’s abstract.
- Must be patient, understanding, and gentle when dealing with the residents;
- Must have knowledge of the functional capabilities of residents afflicted by dementia, strokes, psychiatric problems, etc.;
- Must be able to establish effective working relationships with residents, visitors, staff and volunteers;
- Must be able to work as a member of a Resident Services team;
- Must possess good communication skills, organizational and interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate with the elderly;
- Must be proficient in various computer programs and the Microsoft Suite of products (Excel, Word & Outlook) and be willing to participate in continual, in-house and corporate training;
- Must have initiative and ability to work with minimal direction;
- Must work evening and weekend shifts Sunday through Saturday, including statutory holidays;
- Ability to provide direction with all types of resident programs is essential in order to meet the needs of the residents;
- Experience working with the elderly with physical and cognitive impairment would be considered an asset;
- Successful completion of gerontological course(s) will be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.