GIS CAD Technician
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0383
POSTING PERIOD: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Monday, September 25, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Infrastructure & Geomatics
UNION: C.U.P.E Local 543
JOB CODE: 543350
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $29.79 - $35.02 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the GIS Supervisor, this position will carry out GIS CAD tasks as assigned, the preparation of computer-aided mapping and GIS layers and geo-databases, primarily using ESRI, along with AutoDesk and GeoCortex software. Other duties will include the development of an attributed street centerline, administrative boundaries, running and checking GIS topology and development of symbology, collecting, updating and analyzing GIS-related data. The GIS CAD Technician will also be expected to: Source, acquire and collect materials for subject data, verify existing municipal data based on specifications provided, review and convert relevant available data sources, data entry of existing paper-based information, perform quality control checks on converted data, document specifications, procedures and/or completed work. Operate all office and computer equipment including printers, plotters and scanners. Work in a computerized Windows networked environment. Maintain amiable relations with co-workers and the public. Perform other related office duties as assigned including deliveries. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a three (3) year Community College Diploma in one of the following disciplines: GIS Technology, Civil Technology or Planning Technology or related field or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over one (1) year of experience in GIS CAD software, such as ESRI suite, in a municipal civil engineering, planning, GIS or related environment;
- Must have the ability to travel to offsite locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current, valid and lawful Driver’s Licence is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have a demonstrated proficiency in GIS CAD software and MS Access or a geo-database;
- Must have proven proficiency or knowledge of the Windows Operating system in a networked environment, file management and data conversion;
- Must be self-motivated, work with minimal supervision, be prepared to train in the use of new software, have proven verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have proven organizational and time management skills;
- Eligibility to obtain certification as a Technician with O.A.C.E.T.T., GIS professional recognized by GIS Certification Institute or other recognized professional organization will be considered an asset;
- Successfully completing training in the Microsoft Suite of Products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) will be considered an asset;
- Proficiency in the following software is considered an asset: ESRI Products (ArcGIS Server, GeoCortex), Adobe products (Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc);
- Knowledge of demonstrable GIS concepts and some GIS programming will both be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary to light level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.