GIS Data Analyst
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0120
POSTING PERIOD: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Engineering & Geomatics
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543565
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time & Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 2 (1 Regular Full-Time & 1 Temporary Full-Time)
RATE OF PAY: $29.55 - $34.74 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the GIS Supervisor, this position will maintain many GIS database files by updating, creating, acquiring, and manipulating geospatial data, some of which have special requirements.
- Will analyze geospatial data using ESRI products for the division and other departments.
- Offers solutions to all new GIS related applications by reviewing business needs, reviewing available data, and creating specifications when collecting data outside of Geomatics Division; will liaise with GIS Supervisor to determine best design of data created in-house.
- Contributes to creation of databases and mobile app design for a variety of internal and external users.
- Prepares reports based on analysis.
- Designs the database and coordinates updates and changes to the database, applying quality control procedures on the data to ensure accuracy and checks for discrepancies.
- Will meet with users to develop system or project requirements and then transfers those requirements into design specifications that are used by Geomatics staff for physical and digital map creation.
- Provides technical and customer support to corporate users or other agencies as required. Develops custom locators for city geo-coding.
- Coordinates the acquisition of new geographic data and supervises the integration of this data into the City’s Geographic Information System.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots and supports GIS software along with GIS Supervisor when considering upgrading and new purchases.
- Prepares project plans and works with vendors and internal project teams to accomplish plan tasks in order to meet user data/software requirements.
- Documents all new procedures and helps train GIS CAD Technicians from these documents.
- Provides support for GIS application design, development and analysis using ESRI and VertiGIS (formerly GeoCortex) products and tools by providing sound technical expertise in developing innovative and effective solutions to a variety of complex projects.
- May be required to attend off-site meetings.
- Maintain amiable relations with co-workers and the public.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a three (3) year Degree or Diploma from a University or Community College in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Urban Planning/Geography, Computer Science, or related field, plus a one (1) year post-University or College Certificate in GIS, or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies
- Must have over one (1) year of experience working with a GIS System
- Must have the ability to travel to offsite locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current, valid and lawful Driver’s License is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment.
- Must have a demonstrated proficiency in GIS CAD software and MS Access or a geo-database;
- Must have proven proficiency or knowledge of the Windows Operating system in a networked environment, file management and data conversion;
- Must be self-motivated and work with minimal supervision;
- Must be prepared to train on new procedures;
- Must have proven verbal and written communication skills; excellent report writing skills; and possess strong problem solving skills;
- Must have proven organizational and time management skills;
- Proficiency in the following software is considered an asset: ESRI Products (ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Online, Portal for ArcGIS, ArcPRO) , GeoCortex, Adobe products (Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)
- Successfully completed training in the Microsoft Suite of Products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) will be considered an asset;
- Experience developing and supporting mobile applications including Field Maps, Survey 123, etc. will be considered an asset.
- Proficient with VertiGIS Studio Web-based Suite of software including, VertiGIS Studio Web, VertiGIS Studio Workflow, VertiGIS Studio Reporting, and VertiGIS Studio Printing (formerly GeoGortex Suite of products) will be considered as an asset.
- Demonstrable knowledge of ArcGIS model builder and Python programming for data analysis will both be considered an asset
- Demonstrable knowledge of the Arcade programming language will be considered an asset
- Demonstrable knowledge of SQL databases, and MS Access databases will be considered an asset
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.