Financial Planning Administrator
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0167
POSTING PERIOD: Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 4:30 PM
JOB CODE: NU0351
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $74,291.42 - $90,302.13 annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to a Manager in the Financial Planning Area, the Financial Planning Administrator is the financial subject matter expert for all operating and capital related budgets and variances in their assigned department.
- This role is accountable for accounting, budgeting, financial reporting and accurate and timely processing, maintenance and analysis of departmental budgets and related financial activity.
- This position monitors and reports on departmental operating and capital budgets with regard to spending and variances against budgets. As well, it develops, and is responsible for, periodic reporting to the department Managers and Executive Directors on various initiatives and City Council priorities.
- The Financial Planning Administrator provides financial advice and strategic planning in the department’s annual budget development, financial/management reporting and complex business issues;
- Performs regular budget to actual variance analysis and reporting for both operating and capital budgets;
- Reviews council reports/business cases, conducts cost-benefit analysis and provides sound financial recommendations to City Council for various new initiatives and existing programs;
- Develops and maintains cooperative, collaborative and strategic relationships with department Managers and Executive Directors;
- Identifies business trends and drivers and develops/maintains financial models; Assesses financial processes to determine the efficiency of the current practices and appropriateness of financial controls;
- assists departments with the development, implementation, review and adherence to financial policies and procedures in conjunction with the Policy & Procedure Coordinator;
- Processes, reviews and approves journal entries into the financial system in a timely and accurate manner;
- Assists with the year-end audit and special audits as required, including the preparation of lead sheets, financial statements, and support documentation, and responds to auditors questions.;
- Ensures a high level of service to both internal customers (i.e. Departments) and external customers (i.e. agencies, boards, etc) at all times.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health & Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
NOTE: Financial Planning Administrators will be assigned to specific departments and consequently, duties will vary depending on needs. Financial Planning Administrators could be rotated to other departments to create backup and encourage creativity. Some local travel is required.
- Must have a University degree in Accounting or Finance or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of four (4) years of progressive financial experience in an accounting environment;
- OR Must have a post-secondary school community College diploma in Accounting or Finance or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of six (6) years of progressive financial experience in an accounting environment;
- OR Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency plus one year additional post-secondary courses and a designation in Accounting (i.e., CPA/CA, CPA/CGA, CPA/CMA or acceptable equivalency as recognized by an applicable regulatory body) and over ten (10) years of progressive financial experience in an accounting environment;
- Must have a strong understanding of fund accounting, financial reporting, financial statement preparation, and account analysis;
- Must demonstrate experience in budget preparation, trend analysis, financial projections and variance reporting, and business case analysis;
- Must have sound business acumen and critical mindset with high attention to detail;
- Must have strong computer skills using MS Office and advanced spreadsheet skills (Excel) as well as knowledge of accounting software programs;
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, planning and organizational skills as well as the ability to prioritize;
- Must demonstrate an ability to work both independently and as part of various corporate teams;
- Must have excellent relationship building skills;
- Must have the ability to travel to off-site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current valid and lawful Driver's Licence is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Should have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with the work;
- Experience and knowledge of municipal issues, services and processes would be considered an asset;
- A recognized designation in accounting (i.e. CPA/CA, CPA/CGA, CPA/CMA or acceptable equivalency as recognized by applicable regulatory body) will be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.