Disability Management Specialist
JOB POSTING #: 2023 - 0194
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, May 12, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
JOB CODE: NU0020
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 2
RATE OF PAY: $89,077.36 - $108,274.62 annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Manager of Occupational Health & Safety and Wellness, this position will direct, instruct and assist Corporate management staff in all aspects of the Integrated Attendance Management Policy, Accommodation Issues, Transitional Work, WSIB and LTD claims for the corporation, including return to work initiatives;
- Ensures the Corporation is in compliance with legislation and regulations as they relate to Attendance Management (i.e. Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Ontario Human Rights Code and Employment Standards Act);
- Will attend and prepare briefs for grievances as they relate to the Integrated Attendance Management Policy and will appear as a witness at arbitration hearings, court cases and mediation.
- Represents the corporation at all levels of WSIB appeals including mediation, arranges independent medical assessments, functional ability evaluations, physical demand analysis and ergonomic reviews as needed;
- Conducts in-house training for all management and administrative staff as it relates to the Integrated Attendance Management Policy;
- Reports on all WSIB costs as appropriate; Reviews and prepares responses to correspondence on WSIB issues;
- Works closely with the Occupational Health and Safety Advisors to safely return employees back to work and proactively provides advice on preventing injuries and reducing costs of claims.
- Ensures that all the required forms are completed properly and submitted on a timely basis.
- Continuous monitoring and review of claim files to ensure all relevant information is provided to the required parties and that the department managers are updated on a regular basis and provide assistance to departments as it relates to legislation and Corporate Policies and Procedures.
- Recommend expenditures on LTD claimants for therapies such as psychologists, treatment facilities or educational plans.
- Liaise with Corporate Medical advisor when required.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Will perform other related duties as required.
NOTE: Disability Management Specialists will be assigned to specific departments and consequently, duties and hours of work will vary depending on needs. Disability Management Specialists could be rotated to other departments to create backup and encourage creativity. Some local travel is required.
- Must have a University Degree in a Business, Legal, Arts, Science-related field, or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of two (2) years of Human Resources, Legal or Medical/Science related work experience; OR
- Must have a post-secondary school community College diploma in a Business, Legal, Arts, or Science-related field or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of four (4) years of Human Resources, Legal or Medical/Science related work experience; OR
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus one (1) year of post-secondary school courses in Business, Legal, Arts or Science-related field or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies and a minimum of six (6) years of Human Resources, Legal or Medical/Science related work experience;
- Must have the ability to travel to off-site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current valid and lawful Driver's License is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must have knowledge of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, its’ regulations and other related legislations, including the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Employment Standards Act;
- Must have knowledge of claims and disability management;
- Must have strong communication skills, both written and verbal and have excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Previous working experience with PeopleSoft HRMS and the Microsoft suite of products would be considered an asset;
- Knowledge of medical terminology would be considered an asset;
- CHRP or CRSP designation would be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary level of work.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.