CAD Technician III - Special Projects
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0187
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, May 8, 2023 at 8:30AM to Friday, May 12, 2023 at 4:30PM
DEPARTMENT: Engineering - Geomatics
UNION: CUPE Local 543
JOB CODE: 543157
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $30.53 - $35.88 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the Drafting Supervisor, this position will carry out CAD (computer aided drawing) tasks as assigned, including the preparation of digital road and sewer construction drawings, composite maps, charts, council drawings, topographic maps, sewer network drawings using AutoCAD Map software. Will assist in the maintenance of the digital sewer atlas, update construction As-builts, extract digital data from various sources, interpret field notes and Total Station survey data from Field Services and other related drafting. Produce presentation drawings for public meetings and engineering projects, and help produce digital maps for the MAPS pages on the City website, as well as maintain the Construction Detours and Road Closure pages on the web. Will also develop new maps using Adobe Illustrator software, from concept to print-ready state, for outside professional printing. Act as team/job captain for special projects, assist the Supervisor with technical support, develop new procedures and provide direction to junior staff in the absence of the Supervisor, or as required. Will also review road and sewer construction drawing sets created by staff before they are submitted to the Supervisor. Work in a computerized Windows 10 environment. Operate all office related equipment including printers, plotters, large and flat-bed scanners. Provide technical assistance to customer inquiries as required. Maintain amiable relations with co-workers and the public. Duties include site visits and deliveries. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required
- Must have a three (3) year post-secondary school Community College Diploma in Civil or Architectural Technology or related field, or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over three (3) years of progressive AutoCAD drafting experience of which two (2) years experience must be working all day in complex drawings such as, or similar to, road and sewer construction engineering drawings in a municipal engineering environment, and in Windows 10 environment (file management and data conversion);
- Must be certified or be eligible for certification as a Technician with O.A.C.E.T.T. or other recognized professional organization;
- Must have the ability to travel to off site locations in a timely and expedient manner as required. If method of travel is by vehicle, a current valid and lawful driver’s licence is required in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a sedentary-heavy level of work.
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job;
- Must be familiar with road and sewer construction and land survey terminology;
- Must have, or acquire as directed, training in the use of AutoCAD Map, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat professional Suite;
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in the use of other graphic software, such as Adobe, etc.;
- Must be proficient in the Windows 10 environment, file management and data conversion;
- Must be willing to be trained in the use of new software;
- Must have proven ability to operate hardware peripherals such as a scanner, plotter and printer;
- Must be self motivated, able to work with minimal supervision;
- Must have proven verbal and written abilities;
- Must have good organizational and time management skills;
- Exposure to GIS concepts and AutoCAD menu/macro customization will be considered an asset;
- Preference will be given to those having successfully completed training in the Microsoft Suite of Products (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.