Research & Policy Analyst
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0348
POSTING PERIOD: Friday, August 25, 2023 at 8:30 am to Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 4:30 pm
DEPARTMENT: Building & Planning Services
JOB CODE: NU0661
POSITION STATUS: Regular Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $75,220.06 - $91,430.91 annually
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Building Official / Policy & Regulatory Services, this position is responsible for developing and drafting policies and procedures, staff guides, public and confidential documents and reports to support an integrated and standardized business practice approach. This position will be responsible to conduct consistent and ongoing research to provide recommendations for business practices and support document development and upkeep. Recommendations presented must be in compliance with current and changing provincial legislation, corporate standards, policies/procedures and other factors that contribute to the development and building permit processes. Research and development will include topics that will form content in council reports (public and in-camera reports), budget related matters, building department fee assessments and any operational need within the Building Department. This position is required to collectively assemble and make recommendations for best practices, proposed changes, new policies, and the development of creative and public friendly literature and guides. This position will be the main point of contact to initiate and coordinate collaborative reviews of all departmental documents as it relates to business operational and functional requirements including ensuring policies and procedures, printed and digital material are all in compliance with Provincial Legislature (e.g. the Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code, Municipal Act, Development Charge Act, Accessibility, etc.), City By-Laws, corporate standards, and any other applicable law. The incumbent will be required to actively participate in collaboration with staff and/or other department managers resulting in the development of documents and staff guides that provide a means to support an integrated and standardized approach and ensure consistency in meeting corporate requirements for elevated customer service expectations while meeting all legislated requirements for Building Department business practices. The incumbent of this position will be required to research and make recommendations for training and outline the costs associated with training staff and management. This position may be required to attend public meetings including the preparation of reports to Council and other reports and/or studies as required. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have a University degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Law, Social Sciences or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and a minimum of 4 years’ experience in policy development, research, analysis and/or report preparation.
- Will be required to obtain Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) qualification under the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, for legal qualification specifically OBOA, General Legal/Process 2012 Legal qualification. Qualification must be obtained within 120 days of being hired into the position.
- Must have solid research techniques, report writing abilities, project management, technical analysis and analytical skills for use in document development and communications.
- Must be comfortable training others and communicating requirements
- Must have experience in public speaking and leading presentations
- Must be detail orientated and highly organized
- Must have a full understanding and comprehension of confidentiality
- Must have a pleasant, courteous manner and demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to work without detailed direction or close supervision and have the ability to interpret written instructions
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all individuals;
- Must be comfortable with communicating using a variety of methods (in-person, over the phone, through email, etc.)
- Must have the ability to prioritize projects (when conflicting priorities may exist) and have proven time management skills to pivot as needed to complete projects on time.
- Must be comfortable working with all Microsoft based and other computer programs.
- Previous experience in a municipal office environment will be considered a strong asset.
- Experience working with AUTOCAD considered an asset.
- Should have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, its regulations and knowledge of the hazards associated with the work.
- Given that this job is a new position a Physical Demands analysis will be completed with the incumbent after approximately six months of occupying the position
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.