Personal Support Worker
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0358
POSTING PERIOD: Thursday, August 31, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Huron Lodge
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543195
POSITION STATUS: Regular Part-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 4
RATE OF PAY: $27.72 - $32.62 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: Yes
HOURS OF WORK: Up to 25 hours
Under the direction of Registered Staff; this position will be responsible for the quality of nursing care provided to meet the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of the residents of Huron Lodge; Participates in restorative care programs to ensure that residents are given the opportunity to reach their optimal potential and well-being in activities of daily living; Maintains accurate documentation reflecting the residents’ condition and care provided by the Personal Support Worker; observes and reports changes in a residents’ physical and emotional condition promptly to the Registered Staff; Must be aware of the Residents’ Bill of Rights and endeavour to respect and promote such; assists in the formation of the resident care plans which detail how care is to be provided for each individual resident; performs personal care and selected nursing measures to promote the comfort and safety of the resident; communicates in a respectful manner with residents, families and co-workers; assists in maintaining a tidy and clean environment; performs duties detailed in Huron Lodge’s Policy and Procedure Manuals, as well as duties as assigned per the Emergency Preparedness Plan; attends in-service training. All influenza vaccine/outbreak protocols must be followed on a yearly basis. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required. Will be required to work a normal work week consisting of Sunday through Saturday. The workday shall include a meal period of thirty minutes and shifts shall be as follows or other approved schedules:
- Day: 6:55 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Evenings: 2:55 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Night: 10:55 p.m. - 7:00 a.m.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma combined with a Personal Support Worker Certificate from a Community College or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency OR
- Must have current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario with no restrictions plus proof of pharmacology component, with the skills and knowledge to perform the duties of a personal support worker. OR
- Must have current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario with no restrictions plus proof of pharmacology component, with the skills and knowledge to perform the duties of a personal support worker.
- Must have over three (3) months of experience in a health care setting;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a medium level of work;
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job;
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Current HeartSaver Certificate and First Aid Certificate will be deemed an asset;
- A mature person who can demonstrate sensitivity to resident needs and who has a good understanding of long-term care programs and related legislation;
- Proven commitment to ongoing education, training and development will be considered an asset;
- Related community and volunteer experience is a definite asset;
- Additional language skills are a definite asset.
- Will be required to complete Respirator Fit Testing every two years while working at the Huron Lodge worksite.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged
- We offer a smoke-free office environment
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.