By-Law Enforcement Officer
JOB POSTING #: 2023-0056
POSTING PERIOD: Monday, January 30, 2023 at 8:30 AM to Friday, February 3, 2023 at 4:30 PM
DEPARTMENT: Policy, Gaming, Licensing & By-Law Enforcement
UNION: C.U.P.E. Local 543
JOB CODE: 543380
POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time
# OF POSITIONS: 1
RATE OF PAY: $32.83 - $38.62 per hour
SHIFT WORK REQ'D: No
- Reporting to the Manager of By-Law Enforcement, this position will be responsible to ensure compliance with the City’s regulatory by-laws including but not limited to licensing, animal control, noise and smoking by-laws.
- This will include on-site inspections to investigate compliance/contraventions to various by-laws.
- Incumbent will be required to monitor compliance of the City of Windsor Charitable Gaming Industry including on-site inspections, terms and conditions reviews, identifying violations and reports.
- Will be responsible to prepare reports, take witness statements, evidence documentation and court preparations.
- Will be responsible to issue Provincial Offences notices, testify in court pertaining to Provincial Offences charges;
- Incumbent will liaise with various agencies and departments such as Windsor Police, Ontario Provincial Police and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
- Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma plus two (2) years of post-secondary education from a Community College or University in Social Sciences or Law Enforcement or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies;
- Must have over three (3) years of experience in by-law or law enforcement;
- Must hold and maintain a current, valid and lawful Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and must provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must be proficient in utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite of Products such as Outlook, Word and Excel;
- Must have thorough knowledge of by-law enforcement, inspection or similar work;
- Must have thorough knowledge of the Provincial Offences Act, court procedures and investigative techniques;
- Must have effective written and oral communication skills;
- Must have thorough knowledge of the City of Windsor Act, Licensing and Regulatory by-laws;
- Must have thorough knowledge on how municipal council and the Windsor Licensing Commission operate;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the laws that govern charitable gaming, experience in testifying in a court proceeding for law enforcement purposes and experience conducting presentations on a topic in a classroom environment will be considered an asset;
- Radio communications experience will be considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a light to medium level of work
- Will perform other related duties as required.
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.